Leadcore trolling

HookedUp1

Leadcore trolling

Post by HookedUp1 »

Ok, things have been kinda slow on the website so let's get some discussion going about "Leadcore" -- I use #18 weight
When trolling leadcore with crankbaits & spinners, I'll use somewhere around a 30' mono or flouro leader. I'm not sure why 30' :? --just saw it on some fishing show. :roll: I will tie the leader and leadcore to a small barrell swivel #16 or #18 if I can find them. Have not tried tieing leadcore directly to the leader material but will try it this summer. ;)

How about y'all,
What weight leadcore do you use?
What methods do you use to tie leadcore & leader material?
How much leader do you use?
Do you use the same length leader in a river and lake?
Do you use different length leader for spinners vs crakbaits?
Do you use the 5' depth per color formula to know where your bait is running?

I am not very good at trolling. I find myself going back to what I know best, jigging and rigging. I would appreciate any help you can give about leadrcore trolling. :D

HookedUp1
handline1

Re: Leadcore trolling

Post by handline1 »

Lead core is type of fishing that takes a little time to learn. I do run it a lot on the river for some of the best sheephead hits you will find!
I run 27 lb line with a double the rod length of 30 lb power pro leader, 8 foot rod 16 foot leader, 14 foot rod 28 foot leader.
Run out line till you hit bottom and crank up a few times and go.

Everyone is different, but the best way to learn something new is to put you lead core rods in the boat for a least two weekends and keep the jig rods at home! Remember you learned how to jig fish with a jig rod in your hand not a line counter and shad rap.
Don't worry you will still catch sheephead and donate a bunch of 8 dollar baits to the river to pass the time!

MV
dbonwell

Post by dbonwell »

Walt I use the 27# also, because Matt told me too. But you might as well use a heavier line to get down quicker without as much line out. I have been adjusting leads for water clarity. Dirty river just as Matt says, Bay De Nocs 30'. Also, when tying to a swivel pull out the lead first 3-4 inches to tie the knot. My 2 cents
Your life consists of two dates and a dash, make the most of the dash!
HookedUp1

Post by HookedUp1 »

MV & DB,
Thanks for the info. I do follow Matt's suggestions he had made during one of his Demo's. I think both you guys use #27 LC. I did read in an article, I think it was written by Keith K. ( if I can find the article I will post a link to it),that there is not much difference between #18 & #27 LC in so far as sink rate - beacuse of the drag on the line. ---So your spool does not get as heavy using #18.
Have either of you tried tying your leader directly to the LC? I do have trouble every once in a while with the line wraping around the barrell swivel or going through the line guide on the reel. :cry: (#18 swivles are hard to come by but they run through the line guide without problems). I am interested in knowing if break-off is more common tying line to line or line to barrell. I don't think one would need a barrell swivle running a crank bait as opposed to a spinner.
I have been running 10lbs leader line, Doug, what do you noramlly run? Matt says he runs 30lbs power pro, is this so he does not break off as much? :?
I am considering doing nothing but trolling this year for a week @ LOW ----So be careful when I get back, I might be able to keep up with you guys 8-) .
Limit

Post by Limit »

Let the fun begin!

First! 18/27 lb lead core has nothing to do with the weight of the lead line. It is the pound test of the decron sheath covering the lead! I use 18 lb because it is easier to break off when I get snagged.

Second! I use florocarbon leads (20 lb test) not because of decreased visiblity, but because florocarbon is the most abrasion resistant line on the market! Super lines will fray and cut if you are banging cranks off of rocks a lot.

Third! I tie the "Colbert Knot" to connect my leadcore to my leaders and use it on all line to line applications. It is the the easiest knot to tie in the world and it has never failed me! I will show the club the knot at the next club meeting. Then I can submit it to North American Fisherman Knot Wars for world fame and fortune.

Fourth! My leader length is only 4 feet unless using in extremely clear water. Basically, from my rod tip to my bait keeper when the rod is broken down. To my knowledge, Matt uses long leaders because he prefers to have the leader material in the reel when the fish is ready to be netted because of past experiences of broken lead line while netting. I have had my lead line on my rods for 3 seasons now and have never broken the lead while reeling in the fish.

Fifth! I see no reasons to use lead while trolling spinners. Snap weights and in-line weights with monofilament line are a much better application for trolling spinners. Mono gives you more forgivness while fighting fish and is easier to control depth.

Sixth! I will bring my leadcore set-up in at the next meeting to show you. It has many advantages over the normal set-up and was showed to me by past FLW angler and Mississippi River Rat Chris Burns.

Seventh! Don't try to calculate your depth by any formulas or rules you may of heard of. Leadcore depth is affected by many things such as crankbait diving depth, boat speed, current, leader length, and leader material. When you are trolling leadcore you are fishing the bottom. Like Matt said let out line and wait for it to hit bottom. Reel up until just off bottom. Sometimes the fish want the bait ticking, digging, or off bottom. While starting out get the bait off the bottom so you are not snagged all the time. If you are fishing suspended fish you would want to use mono and planar boards with the trollers bible to you know your baits are in the strike zone.

Eighth! Lake Pepin is a leadcore dream. No "F"ing weeds to deal with and most stretches have consisant depth for which to troll. Go to lake Pepin and troll the shoreline in 10-30 fow, you will catch fish and learn the art.

Go easy on me guys!
Kyle
HookedUp1

Post by HookedUp1 »

Kyle,
Thanks for the info -- I knew you woul dbe good for a few comments.

Yep, I do know that the leadcore is rated by test lbs not lead weight. When I stated what I thought the article said --after thinking about it more in depth, It may have been stated that you can get more line on the spool with #18 for fishing deeper waters. I guess I should not comment on what I don't remember clearly. :oops:

When your using such a short leader, are you using med action trolling rods? I would think that you stand more of a chance of ripping the bait out of the fish's mouth with such a short leader -- not much of a shock absorber with 4' leader, lead core has little or no stretch.

My thought with lead core and spinners, is that you do not have to monkey with a snap weight. Inline weight would be OK if a short leader is used (<10'-15') so one can reel up on the fish.

I told you all that I am not good or that experienced at trolling, I have done mostly jigging & rigging, So all info is good & helpful :P
Smoke'n Al

Post by Smoke'n Al »

I have my leader as long as whatever rod I'm using. I have tried about everything for leaders since back in the 70's and like 20-30lb. test fireline. If I get snagged I point the rod back & can usually straighten a hook or two & free cranks. Another way on a snag is to back off the throttle and let boat drift back, puts a downstream bow in your line and when you go forward will pull crank back then forward.

I've tried using a nailknot and it worked ok. The reason I now use swivels all the time is if I get a fish that starts rolling it twists the line. Have had Lake trout do that many times in Canada. Berkley crossloks work good forme to attach cranks.

I let out enough colors that I really bang the bottom, hard on plastic lips and will take the paint off metal but it works for me...

Smoke' Al
handline1

Post by handline1 »

Sound like we have a topic for the next meeting.

Kyle , I would like to see some new things you have tried. I have not tried fluorocarbon for trolling. My past with fluorocarbon says we will never cross paths again, but I might listen.
Fluorocarbon has it's place in kids crafts I think.

I run the power pro leader for the sensitivity of the cranks. I can see a number 4 shad rap wiggle with a 140 feet of line out.

I run very soft rods and only run the clicker and very little drag. It is direct connect to the fish, but a old school handliner never had a drag in the past!

I have run very short leads in the past and they work fine. I ran barrel swivels for some time and just ran out, so I tried the old loop knot for now.

Power pro has a new line out that is a hollow braid and you can just Chinese finger the leader on the lead and go. I have yet to try it, but it does sound good.

Keep the ideas coming and we will have a lead core meeting in June.

MV
HookedUp1

Post by HookedUp1 »

Alright guys, looks like leadcore is used almost exclusively for rivers--- why not lakes :!: where you want to troll at given depth for suppended fish. I could be mistaken but I think you would have a better view of the action your bait has using leadcore instead of snap weights :?: , besides, you wouldn't have to stop reeling up the fish to take the snap weight off the line.
Just throwing this out there for discussion :)
Limit

Post by Limit »

To Walt

When fishing with leadcore being it is no stretch you will lose some fish. As Matt has mentioned, keep your drag set light or use the clicker and be gentle with the fish you are reeling in.

The main reason you want to use mono with weights for spinners is you are able to better control your depths and duplicate depths. Plus, the advantage of the stretch of mono while fighting fish. I personally use in-line weights and was taught the technique by former pro angler Todd Riley on Green Bay.

I do use med action rods for my leadcore and have some tricks I can show you at the next meeting that will help you while trolling with 4 rods, but start out with 2 and progress.

I will also be trolling bass spinners on Oahe in July with leadcore and will share with the club the good and the bad we experience when we get back. Gary Parsons said they were lossing rods with the rod holders when they got snagged last year so it should be interesting.

Kyle