Reciprocity Iowa/Wisconsin fishing license

HookedUp1

Reciprocity Iowa/Wisconsin fishing license

Post by HookedUp1 »

Can anyone tell me if, I am fishing on the Mississippi River in Dubuque Co. or North, If I must have a Wisconsin fishing license. I remember the DNR telling us at a club meeting about IA/WI changes in fishing territory but I do not remember the details.
I am currently waiting on a call back from WI DNR. :?: :?
BigAl

Re: Reciprocity Iowa/Wisconsin fishing license

Post by BigAl »

Check http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/fish/regulat ... .pdf#WI-IA page 62 for Wisconsin regs and http://www.iowadnr.gov/law/regs/regs_fish.pdf page 21 for the Iowa regs. Both states allow fishing between the railroad tracks on each side of the river with a resident license from either state.
Al Dietz
HookedUp1

Post by HookedUp1 »

Yea, I looked this up in the reg's before I posted the question, however at the start of this year we had some folks from the DNR at our club meeting and they talked about IA/WI reciprocity ending -- I was not sure if the agreement has ended and if I need a WI fishing license or if the WI DNR would be checking the daily limits (IA vs WI) more closely if you are checked with a line in the water WI side of the channel --
obd6
Site Admin

Post by obd6 »

Walt I looked up in the minutes to see if I had any info but I do not.
I know the talk on that was by Dan Kirby fisherys biologist.
And I do remember him talking about the boundrys in the Dubuque area
but I thought it was more on the subject of bag limits and not licences.
But again I am not real sure another name I had was Michael Steuck @ dnr.iowa.
Darrell
crawdad

Post by crawdad »

when fishing the Red Wing tournament is having a Wisconsin license okay or do you need a Minnesota license also.
obd6
Site Admin

Post by obd6 »

Crawdad a Minnesota or Wisconsin is required not both. A Wisconsin
licence will work for Red Wing.
WALLEYE1

Post by WALLEYE1 »

What I remember about it was this had to do with walleye/sauger lengths and limits and not fishing licenses. RH
Rooster, I'm all shot to pieces,well you asked for it.
HookedUp1

Post by HookedUp1 »

I got in touch with the WI DNR Richard Dewitte for Grant County. He said that you need only a Wi or IA fishing license, however if you are an Iowa resident you must have an IA license -- also is true of WI.
A person with a valid license may fish anywhere from RR tracks to RR tracks --he believes it is the same for MN/WI borders as well.
He did mention the power line at Dubuque as being the State line and went on to say that a person fishing should follow the guide lines ( fishing reg's) of whatever state you are fishing in. He said nothing specific about bags limits or size of fish.
thalweg87

Post by thalweg87 »

The DNR discussion at the meeting was related to the specical regulations that are in place in pools 12 thru 20. They are now different between IA and WI. The Iowa , and IL, reg is that all walleye between 20 and 27 inches must be immediately released. WI followed this regulation, during the trial period, in the small sliver of WI water from the WI boarder to the dam at Dubuque. However, WI let this sunset so it is no longer in effect. Technically, you could catch and keep a 20 to 27 inch fish in this small area. If I recall correctly the DNR said that if you went from the WI side directly to the boat ramp you would be okay. However, as soon as you stopped to fish, or do anything else, in the IA waters, you could be fined. The safest bet would be to throw all 20 - 27 inch fish back and follow IA regs if you are in the WI waters and plan to travel into IA waters.
Dave Cook

"The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" Lee Wulff