Great Week of Fishing!!!

Limit

Great Week of Fishing!!!

Post by Limit »

I may have had one of the best and most unique weeks of fishing last week and would like to share it with my fellow club members. On Friday 2/14 my wife and I made the long trip to Devils Lake, ND to see if we could catch some famous Devils Lake Perch. It was a 9.5 hour trip with clear roads and I hit the lake Saturday at dawn to focus on walleyes early and then switch gears to perch. The walleyes did not cooperate so I went looking for perch. With the help of a local I pulled out of a snow drift earlier in the morning I found a nice school of perch. My wife and I fished that school of perch all weekend and ended up bringing home around 75 perch and a couple of walleyes. Avearage size perch was 10", but we did catch a handful of monsters. They were in the 12" range, but were close to a 1.5 lbs. The biggest perch I have ever caught! I know for Chase those are probably just average nice perch, but for this guy they were huge. The ice was 3.5' thick and for the first time in my life I had to use an extension on my auger, which worked great. The trip back home took about 10 hours, while trying to dodge snow storms, but we made it back safe and sound.

The second part of this story happened Wednesday 2/19. With the warmest weather we have had since November, Adam and I headed to Red Wing. There was one other boat from the club up there, but I thought I would have seen more. The fishing was awesome, Adam and I brought back both of our limits and anytime you can do that on the river you have had a great day. Below are some pics of my amazing week and how weird it is to be sitting on 3.5' of ice one day and two days later catching a limit of eyes out of a boat in open water.

Kyle
Attachments
Kyle's Perch
Kyle's Perch
photo 2.JPG (50.76 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
Joy's Perch
Joy's Perch
photo 3.JPG (51.78 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
Pool 4 Eyes
Pool 4 Eyes
photo 5.JPG (51.76 KiB) Viewed 3174 times
HookedUp1

Re: Great Week of Fishing!!!

Post by HookedUp1 »

Thanks for the fishing update - seem like we've fallen asleep and no-one is really getting out.

I'm jealous - where do you find the time?
jighead-two

Post by jighead-two »

Thanks for sharing the fishing report with us. Sounds like fun.

I've always thought Adam was pretty cute, but your wife has him beat :D

Bill
Brad

Post by Brad »

Sounds like a good time! Keep livin' the dream!! :)
wingding

Post by wingding »

Kyle you got my high five's. What a week you had. Guess us old gissers better get out of the ice fishing tents and head north. I'm going out now to dig the boat out of a 10 ft' snow drift. Thanks for the report kyle.
FireTiger

Post by FireTiger »

Man he must have had a good boat captain and ice tent mate. :lol: Open water limit of eyes is good any month... but especially in Feb.