Leadcore trolling

wingding

Re: Leadcore trolling

Post by wingding »

LEADCORE SUCKS---last time I was trollimg the S curve on the Miss. I got snaged up and before I even heard the clicker go off I lost a crank and 65 ft. of lead line. Total of about 20 bucks. I'll stick to power pro or big # mono. Matt----have you tried hand linind with lead core???????????? HMMM interesting subject for next meeting. Wingding!
200lund

Re: Leadcore trolling

Post by 200lund »

The way I learned to run lead which I have found to be the easiest way is to use 18pd lead on a 8' 6" or 9' med/ fast action rod with a 4ft florocarbon leader. when you run this way you need the fast tip so you dont rip the crank out of there mouth plus you put the drag so it will give for anything big enough. you can run any depth plus you really dont have to figure in the crank unless its a deep diver. someone said running lead your running the bottom this isnt true you should always run a 1ft- 3ft above cause you're looking for the reaction and they will come up and get it. once you figure it out you can adjust for any depth by letting a little line out or in or if going up a little you can speed up to get the crank up over a hump or flat or slow to drop it a little and one of the best ways I have found to get a lot of reaction strikes is to change speeds. what i mean is if you'r running 2.5 slow to 2.1 then crank it up to 3 then back to 2.5mph this will make you'r crank dive and raise instead of being at one consistant speed. some people just do s curves but I prefer the speed change. I can show anyone how if they want, if you have any doubts just ask john Mckinney as we just fished the clear lake classic and used it both days caught well over 50 walleye 3 musky 1 was well over 40" and never rip one out of there mouth or hung up. once you get use to this you can use it in any depth even fish suspended fish..