CVWC LAKE RATHBUN TOURNAMENT REPORT

Limit

CVWC LAKE RATHBUN TOURNAMENT REPORT

Post by Limit »

Well another May tournament at Rathbun and another tough bite. The pool level on Rathbun rose from 910.85' on 5/11/10 to just over 915' on the day of the tournament. Water temp was 60 degrees and visibility was maybe 2 inches. The general conversation at supper and at the poker table on Friday night was, "is anyone catching any fish?" The general consensus was it was a very tough prefish bite, but everyone was hoping the sun and warm weather on tournament day would turn the fish on.

Well the bite was still tough for the 15 teams on tournament day, but 4 teams brought 8 fish to the scales, which was more than many anglers expected. The team of Dave Graham and Shane McGovern had the winning basket of 3 fish for 7.18lbs. Dave is originally from the Cedar Valley and has recently moved back to the area from Minnesota. Dave and Shane are new club member this year. Dave and Shane hosted an after hours gathering on Friday night and we kept asking Dave, "you left guiding Mille Lacs and Leech Lake to come back to Iowa and fish Rathbun?" Shane is from the Des Moines area and works at the Scheels down there.

The second place team was Vern Fisher and Carl Teske, the club's Lake Rathbun experts, with two fish for 3.98lbs.

The third place team was our very own Fisheye News Report Terry "Blackeagle" Blank and Mike Beener with one fish for 2.06lbs.

Fourth place with one fish for 1.28lbs was a tie between teams Doug "The President" Bonwell & Greg Mahlstedt and a new club member team of Trent Schneck & Brice Thompson both from the Cedar Valley.

The Participation Drawing went to the team of Larry and Jerry Schilling.

I was not able to talk with all the top finishing teams to see how they caught their fish, but it sounds like it was a mix of trolling cranks, trolling livebait & spinners, rigging livebait, & jigging livebait. Make sure to make it to the June monthly meeting to hear much more detail from the top teams and also the 2010 NTC report!

Kyle Colbert, CVWC Tournament Director
dbonwell

Re: CVWC LAKE RATHBUN TOURNAMENT REPORT

Post by dbonwell »

Thanks for a good tournament Kyle! Dogg's was fun Friday night also, it gives you a chance to know everyone in the club a little better. For example............ Jim Allen always wins drink tickets and shares, TJ doesn't have a poker face, Terry Blank is causing trouble, Brice Thompson and Dave Graham wanted my beloved Black Hawks to lose, but they didn't, Kyle always has a drink with a pickle, olive or lime in it. Adam will win in Texas Holdem', And by the way my roomates Greg and Tony do quite well in the snoring department. See you at the next tournament!
Your life consists of two dates and a dash, make the most of the dash!
FireTiger

Re: CVWC LAKE RATHBUN TOURNAMENT REPORT

Post by FireTiger »

Yep- I'm done with these fishing tourneys--heading to Vegas to start a poker career :lol: