Electric Trailer winches

Samps

Electric Trailer winches

Post by Samps »

Does anyone have or know of anyone that has an electric trailer winch? My wife and most frequent fishing partner, had abdominal surgery recently and will not be able to winch our boat for the foreseeable future. We are wondering about adding one of these to our trailer and would appreciate any insight from someone that has one in place.
jighead-two

Re: Electric Trailer winches

Post by jighead-two »

Samps, you might want to ask this same question on www.IDOfishing.com , they have a pretty big following.

Bill
Smoke'n Al

Post by Smoke'n Al »

Back in the 70's when our family was in the boating business we did sell a few of the larger boats with electric winches. At that time they only came with a cable, I'm sure by now someone would have them with a strap.
The problem back then with a cable at times was getting it on the reel evenly. The operator would need top stop the winch, put some slack in the cable, get it straight, and start it up again.
Do some looking around for one with a strap not a cable.
wingding

Post by wingding »

John they sell them in the bass pro catalog. master book page 543. good luck. jim
HookedUp1

Post by HookedUp1 »

Samps,
You might look at something completely different than a electric winch. I just bought a "Drotto" hookup for my Lund. you can motor up to it & it auto locks on the u-bolt. I have not tried it yet but as soon as open water come along I will be using it.
You can look it up on the internet search "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giQ6_By4yIQ"

Walt E.
Samps

Post by Samps »

Thanks for the input , Everyone!!! I'm very interested to hear how the Drotto system works for you, Walt... Let me know when you are going to use it somewhere locally. It looks like a viable alternative to wiring up the truck & changing out the winch...