Fish for Thought

7 Point

Fish for Thought

Post by 7 Point »

Greeting gentlemen, by now I am sure that most everyone has been out on the water either chasing fish or recreational boating. I thought that I would share a few review items on some issues that I am running into as a Water Patrol Officer for the Iowa DNR:

1) If your out on the water fishing, check and make sure that you have a valid fishing license - A couple of bass teams got DQ'd because their license was expired. Yes you can by them online, on the water, but is was to late then, as any DNR violation results in disqualification from the tournament.

2) Make sure you have a life jacket for EVERYONE on board ! Remember if you have a child under 13 years of age they must wearing their life jacket while the vessel is moving.

3) Make sure you have a type IV throwable on board.

4) A fire extinguisher if you motor is 10 HP or larger

5) If your boat is 16 feet or longer you must have a horn or whistle..aka sound producing device.

6) Make sure your capacity number is on your boat ! Starboard side, within 9 inches of the transom and above the waterline.

7) Make sure you have your registration decals ON. Not only on, but correctly spaced and located properly ( 3 inches high and block letters) do not leave these in your truck or on the counter at home.

8) Remember, you cannot help your buddy catch his daily bag limit of fish ! if you have you your 6 aggregate of walleye and sauger and your buddy only has 2, you can still fish but cannot keep any fish to fill his limit.

9) PWC, registration, fire extinguisher and life jackets ! Know the sunset and sunrise times for your day(S) of operation

10) Know the fishing regulations for the body of water that you are fishing, as different bodies of water can have different regulations on length and bag limits.

I just wanted to give you a heads up on some basics - good luck to all the tourney guys fishing the July tournament, as I will be on the water for the Lansing "footfest" Have a great rest of the summer, and go "Hook One"

Mike Everding C192
DNR Water Patrol Officer.