Good Store Bought Fish to Fry

Limit

Good Store Bought Fish to Fry

Post by Limit »

A month ago or so a manager at the Logan Ave. Hy-Vee meat dept. told me that she had some fish that is just as good as fried walleye. She said that she a house on Clear Lake and this is the only fried fish she will eat besides walleye. After thinking about it for a month I thought I would give it a try. The name of the fish is Swai and it is a Vietnamese catfish. It comes in frozen fillets and if they don't have any at the counter they will have some in the back freezer. It was $4.99/lb and I bought mine at the College Square Hy-Vee. It has smaller flakes than walleye and is not as firm, but for store bought fish I was amazed! The fillets are clean and as I do with all fish, I cut out the lateral line, chuck up the fillets, bread it in shore lunch, and fry it for 1.5 minutes in 375 degree oil. I still prefer fresh walleye, but if you have no fresh fish available this is a great substitute! I highly recommend it!

Also, another thing I would highly recommend is a fryer that I found out about from Bob Stewart. It is the "Presto Pro Fry"! I bought mine at Kohls for around $60, as a price match I found on the net, normal price is around $75. It has a high temp heating coil and the coil sits off the bottom about 1/4" so you won't burn the oil from breading and crumbs burning on the bottom! I have had mine since March and I have only changed the oil once and we use it 2-3 times a month. It also has a timer, which is very helpful because time can get away from you very quick if you are entertaining guests or chasing kids around the house. Spend the money and you will never regret it and you will save a lot of money on oil!

Kyle
fallrisk

Re: Good Store Bought Fish to Fry

Post by fallrisk »

WHAT ARE YOU USING FOR OIL? KEN
Limit

Post by Limit »

I use peanut oil. And with no ice safe around I may have to go buy some more fish.

Kyle
dbonwell

Post by dbonwell »

Thanks for the idea Kyle! We bought some from Wal-mart (I wouldn't have unless I saw your report. We baked it with some lemon pepper seasoning, buttered bread crumbs on a little virgin oil and it was very good! Thanks again. :D
Your life consists of two dates and a dash, make the most of the dash!